- "I've been really wrong about a lot but I was right about one thing. To get you into my life to be around you, to love you"
- ―Max to Liz
Having been in school together since 3rd grade, Max and Liz always knew of each other, but weren't friends. When Max heals Liz, she discovers that he's always had feelings for her and noticed her when they were kids.
- "Part of me wants safety, wants to go back to the way things were, to a life I could predict where I know what is going to be. And the other part of me wants to go somewhere else, into the unknown"
- "You don't listen to logic when things like this happen, you listen to your heart. And my heart told me to call you, because you were the one person in the world I wanted to talk to"
- ―Liz to Max[src]
- Liz – Look Max now that this is over and everything I feel like I owe you an explanation to why I wrote those things
- Max – No you don't
- Liz – No, I know that you think that I was foolish to write about that day and you and everything. What I wrote in my journal didn't really have anything to do with science. Um, that day that you saved me I felt something that I just had to put into words. So years from now, if anyone ever touches me the way that you did, I know what it's supposed to feel like
- Max – So can I see it, what you wrote?
- Liz – Ohh um, I don't think that thats a good idea
- Max – No
- Liz – No
- Max - Why? Because, if I read what you wrote in your journal, I'll realize how you really see me
- Liz – Exactly
- Liz – I just wish I could have stopped you from saving my life that day in the crash down
- Max – Don't say that
- Liz – Max the day that you saved my life, your life just ended
- Max – No that's the day my life began. Liz when I was in that room and they did what they did to me, you're what kept me alive, the thought of you. The way your eyes look into mine, your smile, the touch of your skin, your lips. And only you has made me human. Whether I die tomorrow or 50 years from now my destiny is the same. It's you. I wanna be with you Liz, I love you
- Liz – I love you
- Liz – I trusted you, I gave you everything, I jumped off bridges for you, I broke laws for you, I risked getting shot for you I trusted you. And you go off god with Tess. God, I saved myself for you
- –The Departure
- Max – I always thought that when we graduated I'd give you my ring, looks like I won't graduate. This is something for you, where I'll be
- Liz – I can't believe that this is what I have of you. I can't believe that after everything
- Max – Liz you never slept with Kyle did you?
- (Liz shakes her head)
- Max – I wish this all could have been different. I wish this so much
- (They kiss)
- Liz – I guess this is it. Or goodbye. Just tell me one thing… Do you love her?
- Max – Not like I love you
- –The Departure
- Max and Liz fans are called "Dreamers" among the fandoms. Everything was created in one of the most famous fandom boards ever: fanforum.com. When roswell aired the first time many people loved their relationship so much that they created a thread in order to talk about them. The title of the thread started to change mirroring the feelings of their fans. When the couple broke out in the episode "The Balance" from season one the fans changed the title of the thread into "Awaiting Max and Liz's dreamy reunion" that became "Cherishing Max and Liz's Dreamy Reunion" when they finally were a couple again in the episode "sexual healing". Right now the definite title of the thread is "Cherishing Max&Liz" and it's still active at the fanforum. The fans started to call themselves "Dreamers" because their dream was a reunion of the couple as soon as possible (when they weren't together) and because Max called Liz his Dream Girl in the episode "Blind Date" from season one.
- Also, their fans are called Dreamers because they believe in true love no matter what and their dream is to find a love like theirs even if they know that it's rare.
- Because of the title of their appreciation thread at the fanforum, Max and Liz fans can be called Cherishers too (even if this shippername is not so used)