|Writer||Thania St. John|
|Broadcast Date||20 October, 1999|
| Previous Story: The Morning After
Next Story: Leaving Normal
Episode Cast and Crew:Edit
- Jason Behr 'Max' Maxwell Evans
- Shiri Appleby 'Liz' Elizabeth Parker Evans
- Katherine Heigl Isabel Amanda Evans Ramirez
- Majandra Delfino Maria DeLuca
- Brendan Fehr Michael Guerin
- Colin Hanks Alex Charles Whitman (Season 1-2)
- Nick Wechsler Kyle Valenti
- William Sadler Sheriff Jim Valenti
- Amy Lyndon Arlene
- Daryl Sabara Corey
- Ebonie Smith Genoveve
- Zack Aaron Heavy Metal Kid
- Maria Bembenek Waitress
- Adam Weisman Preteen Boy Tourist
- Donna May Woman Tourist
- Christos Mechanic
- Yolanda Lloyd Delgado Ms. Hardy
- Laura Silverman Student
The Sheriff puts pressure on Maria after she rear-ends him and starts behaving suspiciously. Isabel compounds the problem by invading Maria's dreams and scaring her out of her mind. Max and Liz try to keep everything under control. The guidance counselor starts bugging everybody about "the future." On her way to school, Maria sees that Isabel's jeep has broken down. She stops and offers Isabel a ride. Maria totally flips when Isabel "fixes" the air conditioning and stereo by using her "power". Maria is clearly shaken, and when she sees Liz in school, she tells her friend how freaked she is by all this hybrid stuff. Ms. Topolsky announces to the students that she will be holding interviews with every one of them to discuss their plans for the future. When Liz is interviewed, she tells her that she'd like to be a molecular biologist. Ms. Topolsky notes that Liz is extremely "together" and will probably succeed in life since she always seems to be prepared. While interviewing Max, she shows him a picture of a playground and asks him where he sees himself. He replies, "Behind one of the trees, watching everyone else". Ms. Topolsky tells Max that he should come out from behind the tree, but Max doesn't know how. Max has a talk with Isabel about Maria and asks her to stop tormenting Maria with her powers. Isabel explains that she is only trying to make Maria afraid of what could happen should she open her mouth about them being aliens. Max assures her that he trusts Maria, and that Isabel needs to try to make an effort to get along with the girl. Isabel tells Max that she is going to go into Maria's dreams to see what they are up against. Later that night, Isabel gets out her yearbook and touches Maria's photo. The photo flutters and Isabel goes to sleep. Maria is dreaming of a distorted Max and Isabel, in her version of what they would look like if they showed their real alien bodies. Maria spots Isabel and asks what she is doing there. Isabel asks her why Michael is dressed in a tuxedo and Maria replies that this is how she wants to picture Michael. She then sees Michael as a monstrous looking alien with tentacles, which reach out and grab her. Maria wakes up with a start after falling off her bed. Max pays a visit to the Alien Museum and joins a tour. During the tour, Max asks about the crash of 1947. Milton Ross asks him what he knows about the crash and tells Max to come back later so they can discuss it. When Max meets with him, he shows Max a photo of himself as a child with a shadow next to him. He states that the shadow is an alien. He watches Max with interest and offers him a job at the museum, where he will gain access to all the information they have about aliens. Max accepts the job, seeing this as an opportunity to learn more about his origins. Maria, clearly shaken by her dream, begins acting very strangely. This behavior does not go unnoticed by Sheriff Valenti, who tells Maria that he wants to meet with her in his office. Liz informs Max that she thinks they may have a problem with Maria keeping her mouth shut. Max takes the news well, and seems confident that Maria will be okay. Valenti meets with Maria and tells her about his father and the problems he had because of his belief in aliens. He tells her that no matter what she is afraid of, he will help her if she will just tell him the truth. Maria almost seems like she is going to tell Valenti everything, but sticks to her guns and says nothing. Later, in school, the group realizes that Maria isn't going to reveal the secret, and that she really can be trusted, after all.
- Isabel: You alone?
Maria: Do you see the army behind me?
- Isabel (talking about Maria): That girl is just an accident waiting to happen.
Max: Look, Isabel, could you at least try and make an effort?
Isabel (watching Maria falling gracelessly to the ground): No.
- Maria: Hi.
Isabel: So. How about some fries?
Maria: Fries. Great, great choice. Really.
- Topolsky: What will the future bring for you?
Maria: Let me just make it easier for her. ( points to various students) Ahh, Tasty-freeze, Denny's, Gas world, prison
- Maria: Does your mother know?
Isabel: What, that she does stupid things?
Maria: No, that you and Max are... you know, different...
Isabel: You mean horrible, disgusting creatures from outer space who sneak into your room at night and perform excruciating experiments?
(Look of horror on Maria's face until she screams and crashes into the back of Sheriff Valenti's cruiser.)
- Maria (to Isabel when she sees the alien keyring): Oh yeah, the, um, keychain. My mother makes those... I'll tell her to stop
- Maria (to Isabel when seeing a tow-truck with space rocket on it.): Going home?
- Isabel: You lied.
Maria: Like a rug
- Michael: Or we could just kill her...kidding.
- TRIVIA: Featured music in this episode -
-Genie In A Bottle by Christina Aguilera
-Head by Tin Star
-The Background by Third Eye Blind
-Drip by Other Star People
-My Ritual by Folk Implosion
- TRIVIA: Isabel uses her powers several times in this episode - she uses her powers to make the air conditioning work better in Maria's car; she heightens the performance of Maria's car's sound system (See Technopathy) and by seeing a photograph and concentrating, Isabel can dreamwalk, seeing into other people's dreams. In this particular episode, she dream walks into Maria's mind
- This episode was nominated for the 2000 Excellence in Production Design Award for "Television Series
- In this episode Maria refers to Isabel as Queen Amidala. Queen Amidala or Padmè is a fictional character in the Star Wars films. She was portrayed by Natalie Portman
- When Valenti comes into the Crashdown and asks Maria for a Coke, she's standing in front of the beverage system and the Coke dispenser can clearly be seen. Maria doesn't fill his drink from the Coke dispenser though, she instead fills it from the dispenser next to the Coke.
- When the sheriff approaches the front desk of his station he places his sunglasses on the desk with his right hand. When the angle changes his glasses disappear from the desk, back into his right hand